Amalgamation Day in Lagos, 1914

Amalgamation Day in Lagos, 1914

06 June, 2009

Nigeria versus Kenya - 2010 World Cup & Nations Cup Qualifier

The Eagles take on the Harrambee Stars tomorrow, Matchday Two of the final phase of the joint qualifiers for the 2010 World Cup and Nations Cup. After our morale-boosting away friendly win over Les Bleus of France, I am expecting (and hoping) for a victory that relaunches our campaign for a place in South Africa next year.

We MUST win. Matchdays Three (Tunisia vs. Nigeria) and Four (Nigeria vs. Tunisia) will probably decide the group. Regardless of what happens in the other Matchday Two encounter (between Tunisia and Mozambique) it is vital that we go into Matchday Three with the maximum four points available to us after the draw in Maputo.

As a staunch fan of the Eagles, my tension is high. Not for this match per se, but for the entire qualifier series. You can't blame me, after all we didn't qualify for the 2006 World Cup despite finishing even on points with Angola and ahead on goal difference. I actually like the head-to-head rule, but that did not relieve me of the disappointment (under-statement) I felt when we missed out on the German party.

I hope Mozambique proves strong enough to get a draw away in Tunisia, because even if the Nigeria wins Matchdays Two, Three and Four (my dream results of course), we would be on ten points, only four points ahead of the Tunisians if they beat Mozambique at home to earn six. Better to be six ahead, but that will only happen if the Mozambicans can win a hard-fought draw this weekend.

Yes, I know it seems unrealistic to hope for the Eagles to win away in Tunisia, but it is because I respect the Tunisians that I hope we strive to open as big a lead as we can as early as we can. If this thing stays close (or if we stay behind, as we are right now, on one point to their three), it will get REALLY tense before it is all over.

Good luck Eagles!

No comments:

Post a Comment